St. George's Flag I, by Kim Blair

St. George's Flag I
12x6 oil on canvas

The only subject I like to do as a commission is a flag... not sure why.

After purchasing a small version of the requested flag, I bring it home, hold it up in the wind in our backyard, and snap numerous (often as many as 50) photos of it flapping in the breeze.

Sometimes I am fortunate enough to happen upon a particular flag flying on a pole somewhere in the city... of course I take full advantage of these larger models when the opportunity arises.
After selecting the shot that offers the most character and energy of the flag, I paint my version of the image on a 12x6 stretched canvas.  This particular canvas format allows me to create a unique perspective... accentuating the ripples and folds of the fabric rather than just a straight-on image.

Did you know that St. George's Cross combined with St. Andrew's Cross created the national flag of the United Kingdom... The Union Flag, a.k.a. The Union Jack?

This oil painting of St. George's Flag will be hung next to a 'Union Jack' I painted previously. 

SOLD
12x6 oil on canvas