Avocado Painting, Avocado Swirls, by Canadian Artist Kim Blair

Avocado Swirls
10x10 oil on canvas

This is a repost from a while back, but I just re-read the information and thought it might be fun to post it one more time...

*I promise to have some new paintings very soon... my University courses end next week, (more in September) so I will be free to paint for most of the summer now.


I purchased a set of 3 earth toned tea towels with interesting designs woven into the fabric.  (I know, I know, they have some orange in them too...)  For this painting I arranged mismatched avocado halves on one of the towels, with the seedless half positioned on a slight slant for a little variety.

Tea towels and artist's oil paint have something in common from their past... the flax plant.

Originally, tea towels (from the 1800's) were woven from linen, a natural fiber from the flax plant stems which was a soft, lint free fabric and the best for drying beautiful English bone china tea sets.  Artist's oil paint was originally composted of ground pigment mixed with linseed oil, which is derived from the flax plant.  Raw flax oil undergoes a process to add drying agents to it to create linseed oil which is often used in oil paint to decrease dying time.

Interesting that both linen and linseed were prized for their drying abilities...

The oil paint brand that I use is NOT made with linseed oil, my brand, 'M. Graham & Co.' uses walnut oil, so there is less smell to my oil paints and they come out of the tube in a lovely buttery consistency... just perfect for depicting avocado flesh!

SOLD
10x10 oil on canvas