Character Study

This character study of a sunflower was produced from a photo I took, and 'improved upon' with a little artist license to produce this pen & ink version.  Sometimes you can see the sun peeking from behind the edge of a cloud... and this gave me the idea to draw this sunflower peeking at the viewer from the edge of the paper.  A few curled petals are falling over the 'face' of the flower like bangs, accentuating the uneven texture of the plump seed head.

I read that the province of Manitoba here in Canada,  is a large producer of sunflowers for the food industry.   Someone told me that it is worth a trip to that province near harvest time, to view the breathtaking beauty of the sunflower fields.  I wonder if Manitoba tourism has thought to cash in on this cash crop?

NFS
10x8 pen & ink with ink wash on 300 lb  watercolour paper.    (*check out the side bar on my blog under FRAMING to see a special offer I have arranged with a local framing shop for my clients)